For more about current opinion on this topic, see Gluten-Free Alcohol.
Please remember! Suggestions from others can be helpful, but comments from readers are not double-checked for accuracy. Make sure to research any suggestions before putting them to use, and always double-check the gluten-free status of any recommended product.
Just say no...
- Every gluten intolerant and/or person that I have dealt with over the years, including myself, has had bad reactions to grain alcohol.
- —Guest GlutenFreeRN
Had problems as well
- I am not confirmed as celiac, but am definitely gluten intolerant. Every time I drink even a small amount of vodka or beer, I get my usual symptoms, generally even faster than if I had eaten something I knew was directly contaminated (ie. something that was lightly floured, etc). I stick to rum, tequila and gin as well.
- —Guest picimadar
grain alcohol = bad for me
- My attempts to drink single malt scotch, gin or grain based vodka have all been met with celiac symptoms.
- —Guest celiac girl
gin doesn't work for me
- Drank gin. I ended up in a hospital emergency room. IV for dehydration from being nauseated with diarrhea; Morphine for pain
- —Guest sunnyboy
Don't trust it
- I understand it may be ok, but I had a sip of a vodka tonic and I did not feel well. I got that instant gurgle like I had cross contamination instantly. I stick to rum, gin or tequila. I've heard the flavored vodkas are the worst.
- —Guest Ashleigh
- In low doses they are okay sometimes but that's not really safe is it. I've gotten sick regardless if it's distilled grains. They are not safe in my book!
I don't believe them
- I got sick from grain vodka and gin. I now only drink potato vodka, rums, and wine and feel fine.
- —Guest Ppper
We got sick
- I understand gluten grain alcohols are 'supposed' to be safe for celiacs----but I don't know of any of my celiac friends, including my husband and myself, who has been able to drink these alcohols without having a 'Typical Gluten Reaction'---i.e. terrible cramps and diarrhea. Sorry experts!!