This recipe will work with coarse-, medium-, or fine-grind kasha, but my family and I prefer it with medium-grind.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked kasha (roasted buckwheat groats)
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
2. If your broth has no or very little salt (sodium) in it, mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the kasha. If your broth does have sodium in it, you can skip this step and go to step 3.
3. Pour the egg-coated kasha into a nonstick frying pan and heat for about 2 minutes or until the kasha is slightly toasted and dry, stirring frequently.
4. Pour the broth into the frying pan and cover the pan. Cook on a low-medium flame until the liquid is absorbed (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
5. Fluff kasha with a fork or spoon, and serve.