Celiac Disease/Gluten Sensitivity Symptoms & Diagnosis
By Jane Anderson, About.com Guide
- Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity Basics
- When to Suspect Celiac Disease or Gluten Sensitivity
- Testing for Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity
- Just Diagnosed? What You Need To Know
Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity Basics
In both celiac disease and gluten sensitivity, your body reacts when you eat food containing gluten, a protein found in the grains wheat, barley and rye. Although the symptoms are identical, the two appear to be different conditions.
- How Many People Have Gluten Sensitivity?
- Research on Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity
- Gluten Sensitivity vs. Celiac Disease
When to Suspect Celiac Disease or Gluten Sensitivity
The signs and symptoms of celiac disease are easy to confuse with other medical conditions, and it can take years to get a diagnosis. Meanwhile, people with gluten sensitivity share nearly-identical symptoms. Here's what to look for.
- Celiac Disease Symptoms - An Overview
- Celiac Disease Symptoms in Women
- Celiac Disease Symptoms in Men
- Celiac Disease Symptoms in Children
- Gluten Sensitivity Symptoms
- Dermatitis Herpetiformis (The "Gluten Rash")
- More Related Skin Symptoms
- IBS, or Celiac Disease?
- Can You Have Celiac without Diarrhea?
- Infertility and Celiac Disease
- Does Gluten Cause Depression?
Testing for Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity
To diagnose celiac disease, doctors rely on a combination of blood tests, small intestine biopsies, and the body’s response to the gluten-free diet. Tests for gluten sensitivity still are in development.
- Testing for Celiac Disease - An Overview
- Celiac Disease Blood Tests
- Genetic Testing for Celiac Disease
- What Does My Positive Gene Test Mean?
- What's an Endoscopy Like?
- Diagnosing Celiac with Capsule Endoscopy
- Gluten Sensitivity Tests
- Gluten Sensitivity Genes and Genetic Testing
- Enterolab Testing
- Enterolab Testing - Readers' Experiences
- Undergoing A Gluten Challenge
- Diagnosing Dermatitis Herpetiformis
- If I Have Dermatitis Herpetiformis, Do I Have Celiac?
- Physician Awareness Still Needs Improvement
- Doctors Need To Work On Their Celiac Diagnosing
Just Diagnosed? What You Need To Know
If you've just been diagnosed with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, here's what you need to know.
- When Will I Feel Better?
- Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Complications in Newly Diagnosed Celiacs
- Who Else Should Be Tested?
- How Much Gluten Can Make Me Sick?
- What You May Experience Gluten-Free
- Treating Silent Celiac Disease