1. Health
Jane Anderson

Celiac Disease Drugs In Development - Would You Take One?

By February 17, 2014

Would you take a pill or a vaccine that would allow you to be less careful with your diet? You may get the chance within the next few years.

At the moment, there are four potential drugs for celiac disease in development, including two pills (one to break down gluten in your intestinal tract and one to curb leaky gut), plus a vaccine that's designed to desensitize you to gluten.

Here are the details of what's in the pipeline: Celiac Disease Drugs In Development.

All of these drugs are still in clinical trials, and it's not clear which -- if any -- eventually will be approved. But it's not too soon to think about whether you would take one.

So ... would you? Vote in the poll below.

Keep up with the latest in the celiac disease/gluten sensitivity world -- sign up for my newsletter, connect with me on Facebook and Google+, or follow me on Twitter - @AboutGlutenFree.

Photo Getty Images/Photodisc

Comments
February 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm
(1) Dietmar H. Arff says:

I have been prescribed drugs at different times for different “health problems”. They ALL had side effects, actually an elegant way to say it. I’d say all drugs have multiple effects, not side effects. You think you deal with one problem, in reality you only mask symptoms. The allopathic medicine has long lost its way in looking after patients, they look after the pharmaceutical industry. Years down the road we may find out what these drugs have done to us. I’d rather be on a gluten free diet, thank you very much.

February 9, 2012 at 8:39 pm
(2) jdean says:

I HAVE LIVED WI THIS DISEASE FOR 69YRS AND DIDNT FIND OUT ABOUT CELIAC UNTIL 3YRS AGO. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT SOME YUMMY GOOD FOOD. SORRY, NOTHING BEATS A REGULAR DIET OF GRAIN FILLED FOODS. I OF COURSE, WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE MEDS, BUT WILL CERTAINLY TRY IT ASAP. IF IT WORKS WITHOUT SIDE AFFECT, MORE POWER TO THE PILL. IF IT DOESNT, THEN I WILL GO BACK TO WATCHING EACH AND EVERY BITE OF FOOD THAT I TAKE…….

February 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm
(3) shauna says:

It feels like a drug is being put out for a disease that is only partially understood. There are symptoms that celiacs report that are completely ignored by the medical community (it’s all in our heads, still, it seems). Without a full review and understanding of celiac symptoms and WHY they are occurring, these drugs seem like a good way to eliminate one problem associated with the disease while ignoring other potential issues. If we think the drug covers it all, and it doesn’t, a lot of celiacs are going to be getting really sick as they eat gluten again. :-/

February 13, 2012 at 10:55 pm
(4) Herb R says:

Having to take medicines on occasion and sometimes in an emergency situation, often it is impossible to tell if there is gluten used in it’s formulation before having to take them. With more and more drugs going generic, it may be impossible to find out which may contain gluten. I would gladly take a safe pill to protect me from gluten in medicines and when having to eat outside my home.

February 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm
(5) Paula says:

No! It wouldn’t be worth it just to be less careful.

February 20, 2012 at 4:31 pm
(6) Tricia says:

As a pharmacist and mother of a child with Celiac, I have been following the development of these meds closely. My daughter wants to take these “magic pills”,as she calls them, only on her birthday so she can have a party with pizza & “real” birthday cake. Thankfully, her favorite birthday cake is chocolate with chocolate icing, and we don’t mind driving 1.5 hrs to Mellow Mushroom for her to have a good pizza.

Someone mentioned not knowing whether medications contain gluten or not. This information can be obtained by your pharmacist. Be sure you have your local pharmacy, physician, school, etc., list wheat as an allergy on your profile. Remind them each time you have your meds filled to check for gluten as an ingredient or filler.

From reading the studies/trials done with these medications, they may need to be taken on a regular basis so your system will have the enzymes built up enough to guard against the adverse affects you have when you ingest gluten. These medications will not alter the affects gluten has on the villi in the digestive tract, however. As a result, celiacs cannot use these meds as substitution for following a strict gluten-free diet.

February 25, 2012 at 11:30 pm
(7) Elizabeth says:

Honestly, I would do ANYTHNG. I get SO sick just from accidental cross contamination and even breathing in a room with bread in it that no joke I would literally get my arm amputated if it meant the sickness would go away and I wouldn’t have to be extremely overly paranoid and cautious anymore. If I could take multiple shots a day even I would if it would get rid of this awful disease. I miss being normal, people who don’t have celiac disease really take it for granted. I would pay any price to be normal again.

March 16, 2013 at 2:03 am
(8) Harold says:

I’ve had this damn disease since I was 18. What’s 4 more years for a cure?