1. Health
Jane Anderson

Brain Fog? Migraine? Vertigo? More Neuro Symptoms? Take Our Poll!

By September 12, 2013

Just how many of us suffer from gluten-related neurological symptoms, and how bad are they?

Last year, I covered a scary study involving neurological damage in celiac disease. That research looked at brain scans of diagnosed celiacs, and found abnormalities similar to those seen in the neurological disorder gluten ataxia.

The list of potential neuro issues is long, and includes some pretty serious mental and physical conditions (bipolar disorder and peripheral neuropathy, for example), along with other conditions that don't seem to lead to permanent damage but can really impact your quality of life (gluten-related sleep disturbances and brain fog, anyone?).

So ... which of these do you suffer from? Take our poll! I've designed it so you can select as many symptoms and conditions as you actually have, since most of us experience more than one of these.

The more we know about what we're all experiencing in terms of neurological effects, the more we can do to correct the mistaken notion that celiac disease and gluten sensitivity are "merely" gastrointestinal conditions.

Keep up with the latest in the celiac disease/gluten sensitivity world -- sign up for my newsletter, connect with me on Facebook and Google+, or follow me on Twitter - @AboutGlutenFree.

Photo Getty Images/Ghislain & Marie David de Lossy

Comments
September 24, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(1) CJ says:

I would also add to the list – I have had an MRI of my head & neck because of undiagnosed joint issues (that resemble Rheumatoid but my bloodwork is negative). My Rheumy said it was likely I had MS and I was sent to a Neurologist – who did a physical exam and history and decided that was highly unlikely – and that MS is often over reported from scans like mine.

I had the anomalies in my white brain matter – as per the article on the study.

“In addition, 36% of the celiac disease group had “white matter abnormalities,” which most frequently are seen in multiple sclerosis patients.”

September 25, 2012 at 1:02 am
(2) Michael says:

Jane, you should add ataxia to the list.

September 25, 2012 at 9:14 am
(3) Michelle says:

I was told that I had “symptoms consistent with the onset of MS” prior to my CD diagnosis. I was absent the lesions and loss of bladder/bowel control. I did/do have gait impairment, adult onset stuttering, tingling, numbness, blurred or double vision, dizziness & vertigo, fatigue, spasticity and itching. Of course this was all in conjunction with the above list of symptoms, debilitating fatigue and, our friend, brain fog! Perhaps MS like symptoms, without confirmed diagnosis, should be added to the list!

September 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm
(4) Paula says:

These symptoms fit me. I have brain fog and headaches most of the time. I hate to talk on the phone or carry on long conversations with someone I don’t know. However I also have fibro and cervical osteoarthritis so which do I blame it on! All of them I guess. Most people think I am imagining it anyway.

December 4, 2012 at 4:12 am
(5) Valentine says:

I would comment that many of these “symptoms” are psychological or psychiatric rather than neurological and would be common to most people suffering from a chronic disease.

December 4, 2012 at 9:08 am
(6) celiacdisease says:

@Valentine, you’re quite wrong. These symptoms have physiological causes directly linked to gluten ingestion, and they have been explored and proven in medical research. They’re very real, and in some cases cause permanent damage.

Jane A.

September 13, 2013 at 6:02 pm
(7) col says:

my 14 year old daughter has had non epileptic seizures since march of this year 2013 neuro says its stress she is a happy athletic fun etc. person we are stumped in and out of hospital 7 times its been tough anyone else?

September 17, 2013 at 9:32 am
(8) Curtis says:

Besides mouth sores, my most consistant symptom of being glutened is severe & debilitating depression.

Glutened or not, my symptoms are mostly neurological. I experience unstable gait & balance problems every day. I also was tested for MS but ended up being diagnosed with mild mercury poisoning instead. The gait and balance issues continued even after eliminating fish from my diet.

I also have problems with forgetfulness, from problems remembering names (“you are just getting old”) to episodes of amnesia where I completely blank out on things. This efects my quality of life and my job as well.

September 18, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(9) Shawnda says:

I am so elated reading the comments on here not that anyone else is suffering through this as I am but I no longer feel alone . I have been accused of being a hypochondriac , needing attention, lazy and on drugs. People who have known me before being diagnosed or before whatever triggered the full onslaught of Celiac don’t understand why I seem slower in my abilities to think and comprehend things as quickly as use to be able to.I began having seizures which led me to the discovery of Celiac (eventually). The feeling of knowing who you are and what you use to be able to do mentally and physically is so overwhelming at times I lose myself ,beat myself up or just become so depressed I want to give up. I use to have no problem thinking or problem solving.At work the other day it took me 10 minutes to write down a # for a client that was left on a voice message , for some reasons the numbers wouldn’t register to my brain then my hand.

September 18, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(10) shawnda says:

Paula I would blame all of what you are having to deal with on gluten including the fibro and cervical osteoarthritis I believe they are all associated with wheat ,celiac disease and / or gluten sensitivity