1. Health
Jane Anderson

Gluten Sensitivity Diagnosis Method Proposed By Group of Experts

By February 6, 2012

How can physicians diagnose gluten sensitivity when there's no accepted medical test for it? An expert group headed by Dr. Alessio Fasano, director of the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research, proposes using an algorithm that first rules out celiac disease and wheat allergy, and then diagnoses gluten sensitivity based on the person's response to a gluten challenge.

The diagnostic algorithm, plus new classification language for all gluten-related disorders, was published Feb. 6 in the peer-reviewed online journal BMC Medicine (get the article here). It's intended to serve as a guide to improve the diagnosis and treatment of autoimmune gluten reactions (celiac disease, dermatitis herpetiformis and gluten ataxia), gluten sensitivity and wheat allergy.

The paper represents a joint effort to define gluten sensitivity and help diagnose it from 15 experts in the field, including Dr. Fasano, Dr. Peter Green, who heads the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University, and Dr Marios Hadjivassiliou, a consultant neurologist and expert in gluten ataxia who practices at Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield, England.

In the paper, the 15 experts acknowledge that many people who have not been diagnosed with celiac disease are following the gluten-free diet: "It is now becoming clear that, besides celiac disease and wheat allergy, there are cases of gluten reactions in which neither allergic nor autoimmune mechanisms can be identified."

These cases can be classified as "gluten sensitivity," and their symptoms are indistinguishable from those in celiac disease, according to the paper.

But there are still plenty of physicians who don't believe gluten sensitivity exists, says Dr. Fasano. He told me in an interview that it's a bit of a "deja vu" moment -- he got the same reaction more than a decade ago when he first published research showing celiac disease was far more common than the one in 10,000 figure generally accepted in those days.

"I was laughed at," he says good-naturedly. "My job isn't to convince my colleagues. My job is to post the publication, and everyone will then disagree or agree with what I said."

He adds, "So far, I haven't seen any study that disputes the existence of gluten sensitivity. If that happens, we'll take a close look at it. Just saying 'It does not exist because I say so' is not a way to progress scientifically. The best scientists in my book are the ones which, number one, have open-mindedness, and two, have the ability to say 'I was wrong.'"

Dr. Fasano estimated that gluten sensitivity may affect 6% to 7% of the population -- far higher than celiac disease's estimated 1% or so -- in a paper published last year describing the potential molecular basis for the condition (see my posts on that research here and here).

In the paper published today, the panel of 15 experts proposes an algorithm that will help physicians diagnose gluten sensitivity by first ruling out celiac disease and wheat allergy (wheat allergy generally is pretty easy to distinguish from celiac and gluten sensitivity).

To determine whether a person has celiac disease or gluten sensitivity, the physician first would perform celiac disease blood tests. If those tests were positive, then they would proceed with an endoscopy to see if the person had the villous atrophy that's characteristic of celiac disease.

However, if the blood tests came back negative (as they do in so many cases), that wouldn't be the end of the story, as it is now. Instead, the research paper says, "then gluten sensitivity should be considered. A double-placebo gluten challenge will be the final step to either confirm or rule out gluten sensitivity."

To perform that double-placebo gluten challenge, the person who may be gluten-sensitive would eliminate gluten from her diet, and then "challenge" that by consuming a series of foods, some of which would contain gluten and some of which wouldn't.

Neither the person nor the physician would know which foods contained gluten. If the person reacted to those that contained gluten but not to those that didn't, then she could be diagnosed as gluten-sensitive. This type of challenge is considered the gold standard in food allergy testing.

(By the way, this procedure is not the same as the gluten challenge used to test for celiac disease in people who have been gluten-free for a while. There, your reaction to gluten doesn't count -- only your test results matter.)

Dr. Fasano says gluten sensitivity, as a condition, is at the same crossroads he encountered with celiac disease more than a decade ago, when most physicians believed it was an extremely rare condition. "At the beginning, I was like everyone else. I was skeptical, I sent [patients] home, I said 'No, it's all in your mind,'" he says. "But what I found was evidence of a different reaction to gluten that's not celiac disease."

University of Maryland scientists currently are researching potential biomarkers that could be used to create blood tests for gluten sensitivity, similar to the blood tests now used to diagnose celiac disease.

Keep up with the latest in the celiac/gluten intolerant world -- sign up for my newsletter, connect with me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter - @AboutGlutenFree.

Comments
February 6, 2012 at 9:12 pm
(1) Minnie says:

I guess for 45 million dollars can even buy a nonexistant disease! If the symptoms are identical to celiac disease, why don’t these people have the vitamin deficiencies and malnutrition I had? I have yet to see a “non celiac gluten sensitive” person require hospitalization like I needed when my very definate celiac was diagnosed. These so called celiac experts are turning a very serious condition into a joke….all for the love of money! I won’t even speak up and say I have celiac anymore. It’s a waste of time!

My mother-in-law was recenty diagnosed with severe aortic valve stenosis. She has developed bleeding somewhere in her digestive tract, causing severe anemia. Her cousin visited her at the hospital and promptly diagnosed her with celiac because she had a stool test that diagnosed her. Afterall, they did find blood in MIL’s stool. LOL! Look up Heyde’s Syndrome…That’s what my 85 year old MIL has!!! Not celiac! This fly-by-night diagnosis of a disease that doesn’t exist is harming people! My poor elderly MIL was convinced for several days that she should try a gf diet.

February 7, 2012 at 3:44 am
(2) Kim says:

Interesting. If only the GP’s wouldn’t suggest the gluten free diet first!! I believe this new sensitivity is also miss diagnosed and is often a FODMAP problem. Obviously the more research and discussion about these different conditions the better!

February 7, 2012 at 7:38 am
(3) Katie says:

@ Minnie: Those of us who are gluten-sensitive may not usually require hospitalization, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t greatly affected. After keeping a food diary for several weeks, I discovered gluten both contributed to my (nearly daily) migraines and was involved in the very uncomfortable stomach problems I was having on a near-daily basis as well. Gluten sensitivity does exist. I can’t tell you how glad I am to be on a gluten-free diet. I realize your situation is more serious, but I would like as much research done to help others like myself!

February 7, 2012 at 8:01 am
(4) Surely says:

The gene testing for Celiac and Gluten Sensitivity is not addressed here. Blood tests are not accurate, but genes don’t lie. I had a saliva swab for the gene test and came back with 2 copies of the gluten sensitivity gene. My children had the same test and each came back with one sensitivy gene and one Celiac sprue .. which means my husband is also affected with Celiac Disease, since I don’t have the Celiac sprue. Malabsorption is the big issue for all of us, as well as intestinal damage. Much was told by having a hair analysis..

February 7, 2012 at 9:49 am
(5) Melissa-a Celiac's mom says:

Minnie, shame on you! Just because other’s problems with gluten are not the same as yours, doesn’t mean their problems don’t exist!!! My oldest daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease over 10 years ago. Before her diagnosis, her symptoms were horrific and getting worse everyday. We were so thankful for the diagnosis, and it was truly a blessing to watch her come back to life and health on a gluten free diet. Our entire family was then tested for Celiac disease; all negative.
Since I was a teenager I have dealt with pain and inflammation in my joints. As I got older the pain and inflammation increased. My doctors mostly dismissed me, I didn’t have arthritis, etc. I was treated for tendonitis, with many shots of cortisone over the years. As I entered my 40′s I had trouble doing housework, and an entire day spent on my feet was excruciating. I lived on Daypro and Celebrex. My Chiropractor always commented that he had never had another patient with more inflammation in their body. I’ve always read online trying to keep up with the latest on Celiac Disease and gluten free foods. About 4 years ago I began seeing more and more literature about a gluten free diet helping people with joint pain and inflammation + migraine headaches. I mentioned this to my doctors, who again dismissed it. I decided.. what-the heck I’d try a gluten free diet anyway. Over the past 3 years of being on a gluten free diet, my daily life has changed immensely….I live mostly pain/inflammation free have only had a handful of migraine headaches! My family and friends notice the huge change in me, and my Chiropractor still talks about how amazing it is that the inflammation once in my body is now gone.
Minnie….Those of us who need a gluten free diet need to work together to educate everyone else, not dismiss each other because the symptoms we have when we ingest gluten are vastly different. AND Kim not everyone who needs a gluten free diet has digestive problems!!!

February 7, 2012 at 10:01 am
(6) gluten intolerant says:

Celiac is only one disease caused by gluten. Hundreds of diseases are linked to gluten. I do not have celiac disease per my endoscopy, but my body was falling apart and the autoimmune syndromes were piling up. Going gluten free saved my life. I had the genetic test, and although my endoscopy was normal I am 100% gluten intolerant, as are many millions of people. @Minnie- To say celiac disease is the only serious condition caused gluten and all else is non-existent is completely ignorant. There are much more serious conditions caused by gluten. You need to educate yourself before posting comments such as yours.

February 7, 2012 at 1:33 pm
(7) Minnie says:

I’m not even close to being ignorant. I do quite well on the gf diet. My vitamin levels improved, I no longer have malnutrition, diarrhea is gone….life is good! Why do the self diagnosed non celiac gluten sensitive continue to complain and cut other foods out of their diets? Could it be that gf is not the answer for them? I don’t get constant glutenings that leave me bedridden for days…ok..now I’m being facetious! Seriously, if you are gf and still looking for answers as to what ails you, maybe your self diagnosis was wrong. You all deserve to have the right answers….not waste precious time following a diet that really doesn’t help. By the way, since I’ve been gf ( about 25 years now) I have developed a miserable case of arthritis. Why didn’t gf prevent that from happening? Why? because celiac is a digestive disorder! The celiac artery is found in the abdomen. The word celiac means pertaining to the belly or abdomen. Whatever you all have, it isn’t celiac and it should have it’s own name…seperate from celiac!

February 8, 2012 at 9:00 am
(8) Heather says:

I have gluten intolerance and am fully allergic to soy protein and my first definable symptoms were the muscular weakness that I was having from my severe vitamin D deficiency. The weight gain and fatigue for years was too mellow to identify. One year ago I went on a GF/soy free diet and am so much better that I can’t hardly describe the changes! I’ve also lost 11% body fat in a year without great changes in lifestyle. It took 5 doctors and $7K in tests to finally figure out what was wrong. The endocrinologist I went to told me I had depression! Yes, I think there should be more understanding between irritation and celiac sprue, but it all should see the light in the medical literature!

February 9, 2012 at 12:45 pm
(9) Lynn says:

@Minnie: What I hear you saying is, because celiac means “pertaining to the belly or abdomen”, that is the only place you should have problems. Digestion begins in the mouth and the purpose is to get nutrients, etc. into the blood stream. The blood goes throughout our entire body. Does a respiratory illness ever give you a headache? Does a headache take away your appetite? Why? The body is connected! Every organ and every system affects the other organs and systems. I don’t have severe digestive problems but I have many others, including dermatitis hepetiformis (on my knees, elbows, and buttocks, only found with celiac) and bad canker sores (also not in the abdomen). My body pain is gone, my memory is returning, my thoughts are clearer. And, why do you assume GF is a waste of time if you are not sensitive to gluten? I’m 90% vegan. Is that a “precious waste” of my time because I’m not allergic to meat?
OH, my endoscopy came back normal. My physician said “I could have told you that. They’re not accurate.” She classified me as celiac based on OTHER definitive symptoms and IBS type symptoms.
@The other posters – I’m glad to hear about from someone who had the genetic testing done. I’ve been thinking about it. We all need to help each other and share the research that is being done. I wish ALL of you the best with your GF lifestyle. Blessings and good health!

February 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm
(10) Denise says:

Dr. Rodney Ford wrote a book, The Gluten Syndrome, back in 2007 and I highly recommend it.The finest way to see if you have Gluten Syndrome is by using Dr. Kenneth Fine’s stool test: enterolab.com. Dr. Fine and Dr. Ford have been and still are ahead of their fellow medical professionals by focusing on the broader spectrum of the harm gluten is doing to our minds and bodies. Aldous Huxley’s “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” comes to mind. No one in my family has Celiac Disease but we all have Gluten Syndrome…..and we are guaranteed to never get CD as long as we continue to eat gluten free.!

February 9, 2012 at 9:54 pm
(11) Brooke says:

Minnie, you should be embarrassed. For someone with 25 years experience on a gluten free diet, you really should know a whole lot more about it and what causes the condition. For the sake of all of us please do some research before you post nonsense!! Yes, it is a digestive disorder, but it causes a whole host of issues aside for stomach ailments.

I think there is a whole level to gluten intolerance that has not been figured out yet. My daughter was diagnosed as failure to thrive at 8 months old. We took her to doctor after doctor trying to figure it all out. We discovered she was intolerant to milk and soy so we cut them from her diet, but she was still miserable with bloody stools full of mucus. Her Celiac panel came back negative. We put her on a highly specialized formula that helped a little, but she was still MISERABLE and still not gaining weight. We finally had a scope done and it came back positive for Celiac disease. She doesn’t have an official diagnosis because of the negative blood test, but we put her on a gluten free diet and an amazing miracle took place. After 1 week on the diet she asked for food for the FIRST time in her life (she was 18 months). Her entire attitude changed and she began gaining weight like a champ. It was truly amazing and at 2.5 years old she is finally in the 53rd % for weight. So for you to say that anyone without an official diagnosis for Celiac is suffering from a nonexistent disease is absurd. You don’t know anything until you walk in someone else’s shoes and to assume you know everything based off your experience is ignorant.

February 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm
(12) Darlene says:

Amen Brooke! Minnie, it is safe to say you have offended many with your post and the Gluten disease is not as black and white as you would like to think. I have a 2.5 year old with gluten sensitivity as well with a similar history as Brooke’s little girl it seems. We have had several hospital visits as a result. So a joke it is not. Thank you for your insults though, just reminds me to keep my guard up and protect my children from such ignorance. Brooke, very happy to hear your little girl is better :)

February 10, 2012 at 11:59 am
(13) Minnie says:

Am I the only truly diagnosed celiac posting here? Trust me, you offend me more than I could ever begin to offend all of you! All of my celiac symptoms were from malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies. The headaches, bone pain, exhaustion etc all come from malabsorption of nutrients. I do not get an instant headache or tiredness or anything except for a digestive upset when I eat gluten now. If I were to go back to eating gluten on a dialy basis, I woud be as ill as I was when I was diagnosed. Right now, celiac disease is big business…people are making a lot of money from it! Until all of you have lost as much of your lives to this disease as me, I don’t think you could possibly understand where I’m coming from! My mom died from type 1 diabetes several years before I was diagnosed. You might think you feel bad, but if you all had celiac for real, I think then you would understand what it really is!

February 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm
(14) Darlene says:

If you went back to read, no one is claiming they “think” they have Celiacs….everyone is addressing Gluten related HEALTH issues. Actual CLINICAL presentation that their physicians have acknowledged. Because of the rise of many clinical symptoms GI doctors are coming to terms with the fact that they need to address non-celiac’s gluten diseases because they are on the rise. Did you even READ the article???Consider yourself lucky that you can fall back on your “Celiac” label so you don’t have to explain yourself to uninformed and frankly rude people such as yourself. Lastly, you shouldn’t be surprised that there are non-celiac gluten disease people posting on a Gluten SENSITIVITY article.

February 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm
(15) Brooke says:

Oh Minnie, I had a long post with your name on it but I decided that I just feel sorry for you. You are so lucky and should feel blessed that you have been able to live a healthy gluten free life for 25 years. Instead of being positive about how great the diet has been for you, you are on here playing “who is the sickest” and belittling everyone else’s experiences. Imagine having something like IBD and not being able to have a simple diet change fix everything for you? And I don’t know about anyone else on here, but I am psyched gluten free has become big business!! Frankly, I hope everyone goes gluten free because it will give us even more gf options and drive prices wayyyyy down :)

February 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm
(16) Minnie says:

@Brooke…The gf diet saved me from dying of malnutrition, but I’m far from super healthy! I’m little, weak, full of arthritis, had a large chunk of my colon removed a few years back ( a volvulous and diverticulitis because the gf diet sucks),galbladder removed last year because it was full of stones. I have an adult child with a birth defect that definately relates to one of my vitamin deficiencies. My mom is dead from a very related disease. I’m very aware of what celiac is capable of causing! What has ncgs cost you?

All I’m saying, it seems odd that the celiac expert who didn’t believe in ncgs suddenly changed his mind when a very wealthy lady(not celiac but self diagnosed) gave him 45 million dollars to diagnose her with something….so he did….. Non celiac gluten sensitivity. LOL!

I would really love to have a real support group for people who have real celiac, but so far all I can find are self diagnosed people trying to tell me they feel like me. I don’t think so. I would really like to share experiences with someone like me for a change. I don’t think that’s too much to ask for and I also don’t think I should be hated for it!

You bet I’m grateful not to have IBD! They really suffer!

You people are petty, mean and spiteful over a so called disease that may or may not even exist. There is no way to really prove a person does or doesn’t have ncgs. So far, there is no test to prove this this condition is real. Dr Fasano did prove they dont have leaky guts. You all seen to ignore that fact!

February 11, 2012 at 11:08 am
(17) Brooke says:

If you read my first post you would see that I am not ncgs. My 2.5 year old daughter has gluten related issues and a gluten free diet saved her from going down a very dark road. My point is there is something to be said about that and to reiterate what Darlene previously posted, the gluten issue is not so black and white. I am sorry that you have suffered, Minnie, but to call all gluten related issues outside of Celiac disease nonexistent is foolish. I watched my daughter come back to life so I am a believer. I’m sure there are Celiac support groups out there for you. If you like, I can help you find some? Like Darlene said, this is a gluten sensitivity article so maybe this isn’t the correct outlet for you.

February 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm
(18) Minnie says:
February 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm
(19) Peter says:

As far as I know, the BMC article is the first place where someone has actually shown some data on the incidence of “gluten sensitivity”.

Most striking for me was the statistic that only 6% of people attending the Maryland celiac disease clinic had symptoms consistent with the proposed designation of “gluten sensitivity”. Assuming many or most of the folks attending the clinic are celiac, then the incidence of “gluten sensitivity” could be very low in the general public. This seems to be in sharp contrast to the public perception about gluten sensitivity.

I agree with the authors that these questions will not be resolved without a well-controlled clinical trial.

February 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(20) celiacdisease says:

@Peter: Your comment about only 6% of people at the Center for Celiac Research being diagnosed with gluten sensitivity got me to wondering (it seemed low to me, as well), and so I checked in with Dr. Fasano for clarification. Here’s what he had to say: “Not all people coming to our clinic are celiac, actually the vast majority are not. Many have vague symptoms and turn out to be affected by problems totally unrelated to gluten-spectrum disorders. Therefore, our numbers reflect what could be present in the general population. I think I mentioned the 60-70% as the % of people coming to clinic that do not have celiac disease. That does not mean that all of them have gluten sensitivity, since (as mentioned above) a large number of people coming to see us have no problems related to gluten.”

Hope that helps to clarify those numbers!

Jane A.

February 16, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(21) Allie says:

I don’t have celiac disease, but when I ingest gluten-containing foods, I experience nausea, vomiting, severe upper right quadrant abdominal pain and my liver enzymes spike to ten times higher than normal – and off to the hospital I go for vomiting and pain management. All of this began following gall bladder surgery. To say that celiac disease is more serious than gluten sensitivity is not accurate, in my opinion. Normally it takes years, if not decades, to determine the long-term effects of a drug (or food/diet) on the human body. The jury is still out on just why we’re seeing such an increase in both celiac disease and gluten sensitivity.

It seems to me that we all should be grateful that researchers are trying to provide everyone who suffers with answers and not be quibbling among ourselves about who has the most serious illness or whether or not non celiac gluten sensitivity exists. Whatever happened to supporting people who were ill, especially in the quest to clear up a very confusing medical issue?

October 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm
(22) Mom says:

@ Minnie…
My son had genetic testing and shows the 2 genes for sensitivity…not celiac yet he is lacking in 6/9 essential amino acids, lacking in protein, in a milk catabolic state, and all his lactase enzymes have been wiped out. He is neutropenic (severely low in neutrophyls), has elevated liver enzymes, has had 3 acute life threatening episodes and been hospitalized twice…is that enough for you?

He is only 4 months old…
you might want to rethink how you think…

October 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm
(23) Wes says:

My wife had the colonoscopy, had the blood test, both were positive for celiac, but she does not suffer from malnutrition (just a whole bunch of other symptoms that are quelled by a GF diet). It appears that this disease manifests in a broad spectrum of symptoms and degrees of symptoms as pointed out above. They seem to range from merely inconvenient to life-threatening. All should be taken seriously, and anything that keeps you or your loved ones from joyful well-being should be fought, and fought hard. – nuff said

December 2, 2012 at 2:07 am
(24) Helen says:

Minnie, I have gluten ataxia and for what its worth, it is every bit as serious and severe as coeliac. I’ve been hospitalised because of it too. MRI scanning has shown that damage to my brain is present because of gluten, and irreversible. If only my digestive system was affected by gluten, I’d count my blessings. Every time I’m accidentally exposed to gluten, I lose a bit more neurological function and there is potential to end up like someone with very severe MS.

January 31, 2013 at 2:58 am
(25) syd says:

Well… In the wise words of the Dalai Lama, we are all basically the same. Although I am only here to find out how going GF might help my chronic migraines, and I don’t have diagnosed celiac disease like Minnie, I think that everyone here is basically searching for the same things here:

Some helpful information, and a community. People to understand and commiserate with.

Whether you’ve been diagnosed with celiac disease or you just have gluten sensitivity (and I don’t think anyone would argue that celiac would be more difficult to adjust to)…. Wouldn’t it be great to be able to share resources and information, and support? We’re kind of all in the GF soup together…. :-)

June 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(26) R Howell says:

I know this article is old, but just wanted to mention that in the last 2-3 years, test have become available from Cyrex Labs which diagnose Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity. They’re more helpful than the genetic tests. Not only do they test for antibodies that attack gluten proteins, but they also test for antibodies to 24 potential cross-reactors to gluten.

Minnie – you asked why NCGS people would also feel the need to cut out other foods if gluten were supposedly the only problem. You also wondered why you continue to have problems even on a gluten-free diet. The simple answer is that you (and many others) probably have cross-reactors. This means there are other food proteins that look similar enough to gluten that your body is attacking them as well, which perpetuates the inflammation and health problems. For example, I’ve read that about 50% of people with either Celiac or NCGS also have a sensitivity to dairy.

In the case of one of my sons, his Cyrex test showed he’s sensitive to gluten, dairy, millet and oats; he cannot eat those the rest of his life. He also reacted to soy and eggs, but should be able to have those again once his leaky gut heals (yes, a Cyrex blood test confirmed he has bacteria leaking from his gut). (Soy is just plain bad so we won’t be reintroducing that food.) My older son had the same test done and he reacted to gluten, oats, dairy, and eggs.

Continued in next post…

June 11, 2013 at 4:21 pm
(27) R. Howell says:

@ Minnie – I’m very sorry for all the health problems you’re experiencing. They certainly “top” what my boys are facing (one has ADHD, the other has idiopathic short stature and takes growth hormone shots each day). This post is not to negate your own health problems. However, you need to know that Celiac is actually just ONE manifestation of gluten sensitivity. There are MANY other forms. Basically, with a person who has gluten sensitivity, it will affect their “weakest” genetic link(s). It can affect any organ or tissue in the body and can cause autoimmune conditions/diseases The list of ways it can affect a person are a mile long! For one of my sons, it’s affecting his hypothalamus, which regulates growth. For my other son, his leaky gut is causing toxins to enter the blood stream and passing through the blood brain barrier. This is causing ADHD symptoms. (Don’t believe me? Look up Dr. David Clark or the Brain Balance program on YouTube, for just two examples of ways this cutting edge science is being used to treat neurological disorders.)

We should be here to support each other, not play the game of “my ailment is worse than yours, therefore you’re being silly to go gluten-free.” All of our family is doing the same diet as my two sons, both to support them and because it’s highly likely that the rest of us have NCGS as well. No, we won’t be hospitalized if we ingest gluten. However, it’s definitely affecting our health and I cannot – in good conscience – feed gluten to my family now that I know the effects it can have on our bodies. Minnie, instead of feeling sorry for yourself, please continue to research and learn and attempt to help/encourage others be sharing what you’re learning. I guarantee it will bring you more peace than the way you’ve been acting on this thread.

June 12, 2013 at 5:34 pm
(28) Gluten Intolerance Symptoms says:

There may be no other symptoms of a wheat allergy or gluten
sensitivity present to have gluten ataxia. It’s a common misconception that the diet is exclusively for people who have problems with celiac disease (damage to the lining of small intestines). To do that, you must avoid harmful lifestyle activities and concentrate on foods that are healthy for you.

July 15, 2013 at 5:14 pm
(29) Claudia says:

I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity six years ago. thank you for your article about diagnosis methods. I recently mentioned to keep on looking forward.

October 23, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(30) Patsy Koenig says:

Health is not binary e.g. on/off, healthy/sick. Health is a spectrum of degrees of health progressing towards degrees of sickness.

December 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm
(31) n more pain says:

i have been diagnosed with gluten sensitivity. you may think if i don’t have Celiac disease its not serious or its a joke. well i must tell you that my symptoms were almost crippling. my joints were so impossibly painful. tie my shoes or pull my blanket up. or get dressed. i would be extremely puffy in my face especially around my eyes even when i consumed zero sodium in my diet. no intestinal problems but i also had headaches brain fog depression and anxiety a skin rash that looked like pimples. so crazy, I had every symptom. since i have removed all gluten’s from my diet ive lost about 20 lbs no more puffy eyes painful joints depression or anxiety hard time waking up (Brain Fog) its all gone i look and feel 100% better. Please don’t mock the non ciliacs disease gluten sensitivities are very debilitating, painful and confusing. this is real and its not all in your head. pay close attention to your body. you will see the amazing results from elimination of gluten