1. Health
Jane Anderson

Gluten-Free Estrella Damm DAURA Beer, Made with Barley Malt, Imported to U.S.

By October 22, 2010

Gluten-free beer lovers have another option: Estrella Damm DAURA beer, made in Barcelona with barley malt, now is available in the United States. The company says it uses a proprietary process to strip the gluten protein from the barley malt, "leaving only the 'real beer' taste," according to importer United States Beverage.

"Because the gluten protein has been stripped away, DAURA's gluten content level is less than 6 parts per million, far below the 20 ppm required for gluten-free products," according to the importer.

DAURA, which won "Best Gluten-Free Beer" honors in both 2008 and 2009 at the annual World Beer Awards, resulted from a four-year investigative research project between the Estrella Damm brew masters, the Gluten Unit of the Centre of Research of the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science, and various celiac organizations, the importer said.

I have to tell you: I won't be drinking DAURA. I'm sensitive enough to trace gluten to react to liqueurs and vinegars distilled from gluten grains, so I have trouble believing a product made from barley malt wouldn't provoke a reaction as well. I'd also urge caution in others who are sensitive to trace amounts of gluten in food and products.

But if you're not particularly sensitive and long for the taste of "real" beer, DAURA might provide that for you. DAURA will be distributed nationally through Whole Foods, Publix, Harris Teeter, Total Wine & Spirits and BevMo. The suggested retail price is $7.99 for a four-pack.

Keep up with the latest in the celiac/gluten intolerant world -- sign up for my newsletter, connect with me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter - @AboutGlutenFree.

Comments
December 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm
(1) G says:

It is too bad that you are saying to avoid this excellent beer. You yourself said that it is far below the minimum ppm gluten content required to label something as gluten-free. In addition to this, I do not know a single person who has CD who reacts to this beer, including my wife, who is about as sensitive to gluten as you can get.

January 29, 2013 at 10:16 pm
(2) Regina says:

Have tried this beer. And was a bit strong. I added some lime to it. And found it very very good with the lime. I feel like I have gained my social life back. Yeah!!!! And it is available at most stores I go to. Not so available at bars. But if you go to a local bar regularly they will get it for you. I am happy. And no reaction to it.

March 17, 2013 at 4:45 pm
(3) Cooky says:

Just had this beer for the first time a couple of days ago. I do have CD, and I have tried most GF beers. This beer is in my top two favorites. Did not have any adverse reaction.

April 5, 2013 at 3:41 am
(4) Martin Downing says:

This is a tricky one for us coeliac sufferers which I think illustrates a problem with the “less than 20ppm” is ok advice. It depends how much of the food you eat whether it will be harmful and this is not explained normally.
For instance you are unlikely to eat more than 100gms of gluten free flour in a meal.
One 333ml bottle of this beer will have 2mg gluten. 2 bottles 4mg total. Peer reviewed medical evidence suggests that most coeliacs can tolerate 10mg per day. So one bottle is a fifth of this limit.

June 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm
(5) Jonathan Field says:

I just bought this beer yesterday and both my wife and myself love it!

July 16, 2013 at 5:01 pm
(6) Janet says:

Wish I had read this review before I tried the beer. DEFINITELY off my list! I didn’t think I was overly sensitive, but thus beer caused an issue for me. Sorry I tried it.

October 23, 2013 at 9:23 am
(7) Amanda says:

I just had to comment to let people know that this beer caused ZERO reaction in me, a fellow celiac. I have extreme sensitivity, and this beer did nothing but leave me feeling happy and “normal” for a change.

October 26, 2013 at 11:04 pm
(8) Scott says:

Ok, I am a beer lover. When I found out that I was gluten intolerant, I was devastated. Sorghum beers are not very good. So when I tasted this beer I actually spit it out because I could afford to be sick the next three days. This is REAL beer!!! Tastes great. And when I tried it the next weekend I LOVED it. Buy it if u like beer. Better than Omission. It tastes like a European Pilsner.

October 30, 2013 at 10:16 pm
(9) Carol says:

I was diagnosed about 6 months ago with dermatitus herpetiformis. I am super sensitive and will usually know within an hour if I have been glutened. I too was devastated when I was told “no more craft beers”. I have been on the search for a good tasting gluten free beer and thought I had found it in this one. Tasted great but after drinking 2 bottles a week ago, I am still itching. I take dapsone and thankfully it has lessened my systems. This beer has to be the cause because nothing else new has been added to my diet.

November 14, 2013 at 7:06 am
(10) Mary says:

So sorry I tried this beer I had reservations about it but drank it anyway. I reacted badly, within a short period of time, I had gastrointestinal issues, body aches, congestionand fatigue all bad enough to stay home in bed. I will say it tasted good, just not good enough to suffer for it. Needless to say, will not be drinking this again. I had one bottle, that’s all it took.

November 19, 2013 at 1:14 am
(11) LJ says:

I have Celiac Disease and I am super duper sensitive to trace glutens and cross contamination, but another (very sensitive) Celiac friend of mine insisted I try this and it would be ok. So in a desperate attempt to find a good-tasting gluten free beer (Redbridge is the only one I’ve tried so far that remotely tastes like beer), I tried Daura. I had zero reaction to it and it’s DELICIOUS!!!! I’m thrilled! Now I can quickly restore all the belly fat I’ve lost from cutting beer out of my diet. ;) But seriously folks- if you love beer and you’re Celiac, this is it!

January 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm
(12) Christine says:

I have Celiac, but don’t consider myself super sensitive. I always avoid gluten but don’t worry about “processed on equipment that also processes wheat” or other cross contamination issues. I had one beer last night and did have a reaction. I had to verify that the beer is supposed to be gluten free (doesn’t say so on the label). Maybe it was something else I ate although it was all prepared by me so should be safe. I may try it again (taste is worth one more try).

March 18, 2014 at 2:02 pm
(13) LD says:

I tried the beer. It put me in the bed for two days. Muscle cramps ,fatigue and bad joint pain. Drank just two beers. I feel like I have been hit by a truck. As far as is it safe, not for me. Everybody is not the same. Some people can handle this beer but not all. It tasted very good but I had problem with it. I don’t know if it was worth the risk for someone who is very sensitive to gluten. The taste was great, it just made me sick.