1. Health

Coming Soon: More Gluten-Free Chex Cereals, Plus Gluten-Free Mixes from Betty Crocker

By March 18, 2009

Last year General Mills modified its Rice Chex recipe to make the cereal gluten-free. Now, although thereís been no official announcement from General Mills, it seems the company will be bringing additional gluten-free products to market in the next few months.

Jay at Gluten-Free Post was the first to announce a few days ago that heíd found Gluten-Free Corn Chex in his local store. After much internet chatter over the weekend, Gluten-Free Homemaker confirmed that not only is Corn Chex becoming gluten-free, but Honey Nut Chex, Chocolate Chex, Strawberry Chex and Cinnamon Chex will be gluten-free as well! The new gluten-free versions of these products will not be widely available until June 1st. For now, theyíre only on store shelves in a few test markets.

As if that werenít exciting enough, Liz at kill.the.gluten is reporting on her test of a new gluten-free Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie mix, also from General Mills. Liz reported earlier that she had received three mixes to test: the cookies, brownies, and cake. The Betty Crocker gluten-free mixes, like the gluten-free Chex cereals, wonít be widely available for several months yet, at least.

Any Chex or Betty Crocker product thatís gluten-free will be clearly labeled. If you donít see an obvious gluten-free label on the front of the package, then itís the old formulation and itís not safe for celiacs.

Bookmark and Share

Comments
March 21, 2009 at 1:25 pm
(1) marie says:

Yeah for good news! The more the better especially if it can bring prices down. Do you know what sweetener they use? We can’t use anything with fructose corn syrup (or soy) either.

April 21, 2009 at 8:03 pm
(2) Becca says:

According to an email I received from General Mills, the new recipes for Chex cereals should be widely available June 1st this year.

April 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm
(3) Jaimie says:

I really want to commend General Mills for offering gluten-free products. It’s very hard to shop gluten-free if you live in a small town…I have to travel 25 miles to get to a Whole Foods. It can be a real hastle! I am so excited about the gluten-free Chex. Props to General Mills!! Thanks!

May 31, 2009 at 12:02 pm
(4) Jodee says:

We were so excited to see the Rice Checks I cried in the store! Last weeek we found the GF Honey Nut Chex and my kids LOVE them!! I’m so excited to hear that they will make the other flavors as well! Yeah!

June 26, 2009 at 8:49 pm
(5) Beth Carlson says:

I just baked the Betty Crocker Gluten Free devil’s food cake mix today, purchased at my local grocery store, in the cake mix aisle. Nobody in my family knew that it was gluten free. These cupcakes tasted just like the box cake mixes I used to make. No bitter, metallic taste like I have experienced from some gluten free mixes. So very exciting!! I paid $3.69 for the box.

October 22, 2009 at 9:19 pm
(6) Danielle Hillis says:

Please BEWARE!! I have been eating the new gluten free chex and love them. I went to the store and grabbed another box. When I ate this box I realized something was very wrong. I got symptoms and I took a closer look at the box and realized this was an older box mixed in with the new gluten free boxes. Please be cautious.